Students are encouraged to join NSS as the college has NSS unit under the University of Calcutta and Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. The programme is led by the Programme Officer Dr. Mohsina Iqbal
(Assistant Professor of Botany). About 100 volunteers are enrolled every year in the unit. The unit has adopted areas like “Jhaldar Math” and “Khulipara” slums in the vicinity of our college. Various social upliftment
activities are carried out in these slums throughout the year. The unit also organises workshops and seminars for the benefit of the volunteers. The unit celebrates the National Dates throughout the year. It organises
cleanliness drive in the campus at regular intervals.
OUR RECENT ACHIVEMENTS
The NSS Unit of New Alipore college carried out its regular activities during 2017–2018:
- To celebrate 150th birth anniversary of Sister Nivedita a rally was organised. Different posters on the life & achievements of Sister Nivedita was showcased.
- On 23rd January, 2018, birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was celebrated with various patriotic songs and dance performed by NSS volunteers.
- Volunteers participated in the celebration of Republic Day and Independence Day in the college premises.
- A lecture was organised to generate awareness about thalassemia. The speaker was Dr. Sunil Nag, an eminent physician who explained the cause, prevention and symptoms of the disease.
- 7 day special camp which was held in Jhaldar Math and Khulipara slum from 5th February 2017 onwards. The Students carried out a door to door survey on the first day. Classes for different disciplines like handwriting,
drawing etc. for the unpriviliged children was undertaken by the volunteers. A drawing competition for different age groups was held where winners were awarded. Children of the slum also took great enthusiasm in
the sports day organised by the unit. On the last day of the camp a health camp was organised by the Unit where free medical check up and free distribution of medicines were done under the supervision of Dr Nag
and his team.